Thousands of immigrants gained admission to Universities and Colleges in Canada to further their studies at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Canadian educational institution is open to foreign nationals, therefore foreigner who desire to study in Canada can apply for Student Visa. A study permit, once issued, allows a foreign national to study in Canada at an approved institute for the duration of the specified course or program.
Benefits of studying in Canada are enormous as students are groomed academically, morally and physically (through sporting activities) to compete in the global job market. The academic stability, provision of adequate infrastructures for learning and teaching, good lecturer/student relationship, opportunity to work while studying, secure job in Canada after graduation among others are the reasons why you must school in Canada.
Requirements to study in Canada:
- You must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada.
- You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your: tuition fees;
- living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada; and
- return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to Canada.
- You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate.
- You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary.
- You must satisfy an immigration officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your authorized stay.
Some foreign students are however exempted from obtaining study permit to go to school in Canada:
- If the course or program you intend to study is less that 6 months in duration.
- If you are a family member or staff of a foreign representative to Canada.
- If you are a member of a foreign armed force.
***A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) may also be required if the student is a citizen of a country from which Temporary Resident Visas are required for entry into Canada.
Watch Ayo Uyanga explain why your study permit or visitor visa might not be approved